No one wants to talk about insurance, but it is a true luxury to travel without it. It does not matter how old you are, your health condition, or where you are traveling; you should never go without travel insurance. Unfortunately, you never know when life is going to throw you a curveball like Covid – 19. Too many people were left with no coverage for the added expense of getting home expediently or with no recourse to recoup the money they have spent on the future vacations they had canceled. Without insurance, that extra cost is wholly yours.
Travel insurance will protect your investment in many situations. Airfare is rarely refundable; cruise lines and tour packages usually have policies allowing cancellation up to a specific time before your arrival. If you have to cancel at the last minute, You will lose your investment in your dream trip. When considering the total cost of travel, flights, hotels, ground transport, tours, activities, plus the value of your luggage versus the small charge to cover yourself from the unexpected with travel insurance, it should be a no-brainer.
Travel insurance covers these reasons for cancellation:
- You need to cancel your trip unexpectedly
- if immediate family members become ill or have an accident
- if immediate family members have a sports-related injury
- if there is a major terrorist attack at your destination
- a weather-related event damages your destination
- you lose your job
- if immediate family members become ill
- if immediate family members have an accident, need medical attention or need to be flown home from your vacation destination
- a family member at home becomes ill
- your luggage is lost or stolen
- your credit cards/passport are lost or stolen
While cruise lines and tour groups offer some travel insurance, they only cover their own products, and none include medical insurance abroad. Credit card coverage has some level of coverage, but you need to check with them regarding what is concerned and how much coverage they provide. Is there a convenient number to call if something should go wrong?
Separate insurance coverage ensures that you are also covered to your comfort level and that your medical needs will be taken care of while on vacation. For that small investment, travel insurance is worth the peace of mind that your investment is protected and the health of your family is covered.